Today was one of those days where you get home and hide in your room all afternoon and evening so your roommates don't even think you're home. And then you get hungry, but you don't want to talk to your roommates so you just don't eat so you don't have to go upstairs and talk to your weird roommates who eat your food and think that your stuff is their stuff too...
Last weekend I went to St. George. It was amazing! I learned lots of cool things and I got to see some of my friends from school. Also it was 80°, and I skipped some sessions and laid in the green grass in the sun and it was glorious. I wish that everyday could be like days like that. Why does there have to be grind of everyday life where you have to do things you don't want to do? I just wish I could do something where I want to go everyday and do it.
But, alas that isn't how life works. So instead I spend my days dreaming about going on adventures in the mountains or exploring the city or taking weeks long road trips with people I like.
Yesterday I was working with a kid who seriously struggles with playing the trombone. He just doesn't get it, so I've been working 1 on 1 with him. His mouthpiece was stuck and so I had to use the mouthpiece puller to get it unstuck. I couldn't get it and was about to give up, but I tried one more time and got it. He told me, "The important thing is that you didn't give up." I couldn't believe how profound this 12 year old was. I hope he takes his own advice to heart and doesn't give up. Maybe he won't play trombone for the rest of his life, but whatever he chooses to do, I hope he doesn't give up when it gets hard.
Today one of my kids ran away from school. I feel sad for this kid. He comes from an abusive home life and his girlfriend broke up with him. He was at an honor band at a different school and during break he just ran. away. He showed up at my school 3 1/2 hours later.
Well, I don't really have much to say...here is my playlist of the week:
Ane Brun-Rarities
That is sad :( I like the trombone kid though! He sounds like a cool cat! Thats excellent advice for all of us!
ReplyDeleteIm sorry your roommates are so weird. if you want to get away for a little while, text me, and I'll come pick you up. Do you have plans for this weekend? Do you want to hang out?
ReplyDeleteRoommates can be just the worst! I am sorry they ate your brownies and used your pan and left it dirty. Gross. I think you can make a difference to some of these kids you work with. Sometimes just knowing someone cares for a minute helps. And that is good advice.
ReplyDeleteAlso, this woman is a strange singer, yet strangely compelling. I do kinda like her cover of Halo. How did you find her?
Delete