Monday, February 9, 2015

A House is More Than a House


I found this wonderful poem by
 Mark Twain and had to share it. 
It has always seemed to me that houses
 have, souls? of a sort.
They somehow reflect back the personalities 
of the people who have lived within their walls,
whether they loved, grew, fought, were 
honorable, clean, or otherwise.
I have been in houses that felt so happy 
and those that have felt super creepy, 
and those that fall somewhere in between.
(And some that smell weird)
Have you?
We have always been told that our house feels good.
Warm
Welcoming
cozy
Happy
All good adjectives!
(Is this kind of like when kids or dogs like you?)
Anyway, I really liked and enjoyed this poem
and thought you might as well. 
I am thankful for our happy home.
I hope you are all having a lovely day
(and feeling good wherever you are.)
Love you!
Mom

To us, our house was not insentient matter
it had a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with;
and approvals, and solicitudes, and deep sympathies;
it was of us, and we were in the peace of its benediction.
We never came home from an absence that its face did not light up and speak out its eloquent welcome
and we could not enter it unmoved. 
Mark Twain




2 comments:

  1. I love this! And I love our houses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that different houses feel different. I think the best example of that is the temple. It is God's house, so when I am there, I feel who He is just by sitting in His house. I think, to an extent, this applies to all houses. You can get a feeling of who it belongs to by being in it.

    ReplyDelete