Monday, September 26, 2016

Where The Mom and The Dad Run Away From Real Life and Play at The Lake


Hey Family!
Dad and I ran away from life and all responsibilities
yesterday and headed up the North Shore.
And guys, I know I told you we're getting
along great. But we were so crabby!
We weren't even sure if we should go. We 
didn't want to waste our resources in case
it was a horrible day.
But we learned something; 
Apparently the thing
to do if you are super crabby at someone
is to go up the north shore together and listen to the 
waves and hike in nature, and see all the beauty.
Nobody can stay crabby surrounded by all that.


We found (re found?)
a place just like five miles out of Duluth to walk 
along the shore. Well, in truth, we drove into one of the pull offs
and sat in the car and ate sandwiches. We went to that awesome
deli/fish market that is in the building right behind Duluth Pac
and got sandwiches for the road.
We sat in the car with the windows up eating and 
suddenly realized where we were. 
Down the windows went and off went the car.
The  sound of the waves was glorious!


After we finished eating we climbed over the cable (rule breakers)
and down the rocks and were on the shore.



I couldn't even believe all of the glass and agates 
I found in just thirty minutes!



We watched this big ship come out of the
 harbor and zip down the lake.
He was moving!


Then we went to Palisade Head.
Definitely not a place for little boys.
Yikes!!! 

This is laying on the edge of the cliff looking straight down.

I was disappointed to not get better pictures there.
It was so beautiful, but the afternoon light was casting
big shadows so none of my pictures
 turned out as well as I hoped.
I need to go earlier in the day, I think.


It was super windy and I wished hard core that I had my hair
in a pony or that I had a good hat.
I didn't want to walk off a cliff because hair was in my eyes!

A really nice couple took our picture. It was so bright and windy we couldn't actually open our eyes.


Then we went on to Tettagouche and parked at the rest stop.
We went in the gift shop, but opted out of the caramel corn we 
really wanted because it was tiny and $8.00!
Sad, because it looked so delicious!


This hike said 1.5 miles to the high falls.
They lied, haha.
We hiked and hiked and hiked and barely saw the river.
It was a gorgeous hike through the woods though!
After we had been hiking for a while I remembered that
it is "fatten up the bears for winter" season, and we had a 
little "hey bear" happening.
I'm such a chicken.
Dad laughed at me but played along.



Isn't it pretty and fall-y?


This is us on a bench about a third of the way up a
 giant flight of steps.
We were extremely grateful to whomever decided to put
 that bench in that particular spot.
This hike was a little bit of "death by steps"
Dad's knees and my booty are sore today.

This is at the bench, already one third of the way up.

I only included this too close, zoomed, accidental photo because Dad looks happy.


We went in the visitor's center to use the bathroom and viola! I
suddenly had wifi and about a million messages.
My phone remembered the wifi from when I
 have been there before.
It was a nice surprise.


We hiked down the walkway to the mouth of the river.
It's so interesting how different it is every time I come here.



I feel like where we were sitting last 
summer  while Dad did laundry
is under water now. Yes? No?




For your viewing/listening pleasure




Dad was so enjoying the sound of the waves he
 wanted to video it on my phone.


Then we went to the place where we all were
 a couple of weeks ago.
It was getting dark and raining.
I wanted to have a fire again so bad but the rain said no.



Look at how much more sandbar there is now!

I really love these cairns that people are building. It is a new phenomenon. Nobody used to do it.


And it was time to head for home.
We drove to Duluth to find something to eat.
We felt strongly against the McDonald's dollar menu
so we tried out Grandma's in Canal Park.
So so so good! I mean yummy!
And then we ran into some friends from Buffalo who were up
for their anniversary. We shared a table and visited for a while
and it was so fun!
Then came the hard part- driving home in the dark and rain.
We stayed way too long and it was way too late and
poor Dad had to work in the morning.
We listened and sang along to The Big Bad Voodoo Daddys
and Huey Lewis to get us home.
Can I be honest? It made me feel young
and alive. It was fun.
We did have a sad casualty on the way.
We hit a big racoon by Princeton.
It was really sad.
Luckily we were fine and the car was fine.
We got home and pet Luna because she was super lonely. 
She's a funny girl.
And then we crawled in bed for a very
short night.
It was 1:30 AM
We are too old for those hours. Haha!
But it was worth it.
Totally worth it.

Love you all and hope you are well 
and finding things that chase away the crabbies

The end

2 comments:

  1. That looks like such a nice trip! I'm glad you had fun. :) I liked the water video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so fun!!!!!! Way to live on the edge!!!!

    ReplyDelete