I'm listening to The Bluegrass Gospel station on Pandora and had a thought. Alison Krauss was rocking out and someone was playing amazing banjo with her. I thought "I wish I could play like that." But how much of that person's life has been dedicated to being that good? People express that same sentiment to me about my music all the time. Little do they know that I've spent my whole life- most every moment of it- thinking about how to refine and improve those skills. I walked in my house from church today and between catching up after being sick, and Kerry working on the kitchen, all I could think was, "I wish I could keep my kitchen clean every day." It was a disgusting disaster. I know people that always have a clean kitchen. And I don't. The difference is that they take the time to do it. They may not have a ton of time just like me, but they make it happen because it's important to them.
We all have different priorities in life, and we won't be able to get to do every single thing we want to all at once. It's another aspect of patience and persevering to me. It's another aspect of faith- you do what you can and step by step you can improve a little. It's ok to not be good at something because you've been working on something else. It's ok that you're not perfect. That's the whole point of Christ coming and living here and suffering in Gethsemane for us. We're not good at everything- no one is. But we're still loved and valued anyways, if by no one else, than by the Savior. It doesn't mean my sink full of dishes is a good thing- but I can fix my bad habits gradually. Which I'm going to start with right now. My dishwasher no longer fits on my (awesome!) sink faucet... so I'm going go to wash some dishes by hand.
-Kayla
That's deep Kayla.
ReplyDeleteI learned that this semester too! priorities... interesting stuff.
ReplyDeleteI love this idea. I get so frustrated at myself for not being able to do everything I want, expert level. Haha. I need to remember this. Thanks for your deep thought!
ReplyDelete