Hi All!
I thought I would give a brief update on my
potato tower experiment.
Grandma has been dying for me to tear it open the
entire summer. She could seriously not wait until the
Fall was here. I prevailed, though, and waited until October.
There were parsnips on top, then layers of red and white potatoes
underneath. I learned that I need to use hardware cloth or at
least something that doesn't stretch, because my layers settled
and settled and settled. What should have been a tall cylinder ended
up being a short, fat blob.
| I love this picture of Grandma being Vanna White to the potato tower. Google her. =D |
I was also concerned because there was so much green growth.
I was afraid all the growing energy had gone to the plant and
that were no potatoes in there at all.
Surprise! There were potatoes.
Not as many as I hoped, but about 25 pounds none the less.
Grandma and I dug all that we could, but were both too
wimpy to dig the bottom layer.
That's where about half of the potatoes were hiding.
I got about double what you see here.
In all, I consider my experiment a success.
I will do it again, taking what I learned this year.
I will use hardware cloth and probably do two
towers: one for white, one for red, and put a crop on top
of each.
So there you are- the saga of the potato tower.
Hope you are well! 'Love you tons!
Mom
Awesome! I'm glad it was a successful experiment.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool!!!
ReplyDelete