Saturday, August 24, 2013

Honey Wheat Bread

Hey All! How are things in your world? 
Things here are feeling pretty calm
 after the madness that is eight adults and a busy two year old, plus
 a dog, a cat, and the stomach flu in our little house.
Madness, I tell you. Gah. With a capital G. 

Still and all, it was mostly great. We played awesomely at The Stockade,
which, after all, was one of the main purposes of getting everyone together.
I wish I had some pictures of The Stockade. Evan took a whole bunch,
but I haven't been able to preview any yet.
We did some wonderful music together. 
It is so cool how the music pulls us together.

My favorites are:
No One Stands Alone (Seriously epic. Man!)
Come Thou Fount
and
In The Old Church Yard

(2010- Old and a bit goofy, but it gives a little taste of The Stockade)
 I am so ridiculously grateful for the gift of music in our lives.
I don't know why we were so blessed, but I accept!
We had some growing pains this time, adjusting to being together
 after so much time being independent. It was a little tricky,
but I am still happy to have been able to have my family all (minus Kerry)
under one roof. Awesome!

Anyway, on one of the last days that the kids were here we went to 
go see Grandpa and Grandma's house. It is, sadly, on the market.
It might sell before they get to see it again. We moved so much 
when they were growing up that G and G's house was kind of their stable place. 
We walked through the house and then went out to do "The Tour" in the yard.
So freaking many memories were flying thorough my head. Pretty much all of my
childhood memories are from there. It's a hard thing. I sure miss my dad
and think about calling him at least once a day.

While we were there somehow the subject came up of grinding wheat.
I can't explain it. Weird, right?
Joan got out her grinder and some wheat and we went to town. It was 
so cool. We were absurdly excited.
I've been dying to try our beautiful fresh ground flour.
And today I did. 
And Yum.
Just yum.



Honey Wheat Bread
2 1/2 C Buttermilk
1/2 C Honey
1/3 C Butter
Heat together until very warm. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl mix
3 1/2 C flour
1/2 C Oats
2 T Yeast
3 tsp Salt
and beat three minutes. Mix in
2 Eggs
Then Stir in by hand
2 1/2- 3 C Whole Wheat Flour
Put in greased bowl and let rise until doubled.
Stir down and shape into two loaves. Place in  greased pans.
Let rise until doubled again. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 Minutes.

(Before I baked mine I brushed them with honey and sprinkled them with oats)

Delicious.


It's funny, because it is so crazy when everyone is here, and I
long for peace and quiet and my clean house,
but they leave and I miss them so much.
Love you to the moon and back y'all!
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment